The Court Advocates provide services to victims of domestic violence or dating violence at the 5th Municipal District Courthouse in Bridgeview, IL and 6th Municipal District Courthouse in Markham, IL. The court advocates inform victims of their rights under the Illinois Domestic Violence Act, serve as a liaison in the judicial system, prepare orders of protection and provide follow up services to review their safety plan and court case. Informational materials about other legal remedies and victim resources such as Crime Victims’ Compensation, Victims’ Economic Security and Safety Act, Safe Homes Act and Automated Victim Notification are also provided.
KNOW YOUR OPTIONS AND RIGHTS
Domestic violence is a crime. If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, please contact the Crisis Center. Our trained staff of domestic violence professionals can assist you.
If you experience domestic violence:
- Report the incident to the police. If a criminal offense was committed, sign complaints.
- Obtain an order of protection. You can obtain an order of protection in civil or criminal court to increase your level of safety.
- Provide a copy of the order of protection to your local police department.
- Contact our 24-hour hotline for emergency shelter and/or referrals, or to make an appointment with a counselor for safety planning, education on domestic violence and emotional support.
- Contact a domestic violence advocate to provide support, act a liaison between you and the prosecutor and provide legal referrals.
- Inform your relatives and friends of your situation.
- Inquire about additional legal remedies available for victims of domestic violence.
FORMS OF ABUSE THAT ARE AGAINST THE LAW
- Physical Abuse such as pushing, shoving, spitting at or biting you, slapping, punching, kicking or strangling you or hurting you with a weapon.
- Emotional Abuse such as assault, aggravated assault (threatening you with a weapon), harassment through phone calls and texting, stalking, interfering from dialing 911 to obtain emergency assistance.